Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Resurrection Easter Eggs

Since Easter is this weekend, I just had to share my lesson from Children's Church this past Sunday. On the first Sunday of each month, the children of our church come forward while I present a simple lesson. I wanted to impress the importance of Holy Week on the children, for it is important in the lives of Christians to understand why we have salvation.

I can't take credit for this concept as I found it in my quest for good topics for children; however, I felt it so good I had to share. Ron and I have decided to use it throughout the week to keep the information fresh in Zeke and Kaydawn's minds as well as impress upon them the importance of the week.

This is a picture of our "Resurrection Eggs." Inside each egg is an object or picture directly linked to a verse in the Bible that tells of an event leading up to, during, and after the crucifixion of Christ.



Here are the items/pictures in the eggs along with the explanation of each:

1. (Bread) Matthew 26:26
While they were eating Jesus took a piece of bread,
gave a prayer of thanks, broke it, and gave it to His disciples.
"Take and eat it," He said, "This is My body."

2. (Coins) Matthew 26: 14-15
Then one of the twelve disciples, named Judas Iscariot, went to
the chief priests and asked, "What will you give me if I betray
Jesus to you?" They counted out thirty silver coins and gave
them to him.

3. (Purple cloth, representing a purple robe) Mark 15:17
They put a purple robe on Jesus. . .

4. (Thorns) Matthew 27:29
Then they made a crown out of thorny branches and placed it on
His head, and put a stick on His right hand; then they knelt
before Him and made fun of Him. "Long live the King, of the
Jews!" they said.

5. (Scourge-a small piece of rope or thick string) Mark 15:15
Pilate wanted to please the crowd, so he set Barabbas free for
them. Then he had Jesus whipped and handed Him over to be
crucified.

6. (Cross) John 19: 17-18a
He went out, carrying His cross, and came to "The Place of the
Skull," as it is called. (In Hebrew it is called "Galgotha.") There
they crucified Him.

7. (Nails) John 20:25b
Thomas said to them, "Unless I see the scars of the nails in His
hands and put my finger on those scars and my hand in His
side, I will not believe."

8. (Sign) Luke 23:38
Above Him were written these words: THIS IS THE KING OF
THE JEWS.

9. (Sponge) Matthew 27:48
One of them ran up at once, took a sponge, soaked it in cheap
wine, put it on the end of a stick, and tried to make Him drink it.

10. (Spear) John 19:34
One of the soldiers plunged his spear into Jesus' side, and at
once blood and water poured out.

11. (Rock) Matthew 27:59-60
Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a new linen sheet, and
placed it in his own new tomb, which he had just recently dug
out of solid rock. Then he rolled a large stone across the
entrance to the tomb and went away.

12. (Empty) Matthew 28:6
He is not here He has risen just as He said.

I wish all of you a blessed Easter!

No comments: